Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I love(HATE????) Windows 8

             I am going to use this never-contended space in my blog to complain(well, mostly)about Windows 8. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 because I was able to get a free upgrade. I appreciate the fact that Windows or Microsoft has taken the same route as Android and IOS in that its trying to provide a uniform platform across different platforms whether it be a tablet, a phone, or a PC. Well, I have been using W8 on my laptop for a while now and these are my impressions. My impressions changed quite a bit from the time of my initial opinions at its launch, but not how i felt about the OS. 
                   Initially,it seemed like a marketing strategy in order to force the customers to also own other W8 forms(tablets, and phones) along with having windows PCs. But, when I once went to an ATT store, the sales guy pitched it as a tablet which converts to a PC once you tilt it and affix it to a mount and this got me REAAALLLLYYYY interested. It would be great to see this idea take off(especially in the corporate world, too). You can work from home, and then just take it and plug it in your office and thats that. It also probably saves the companies many a buck having a office PC and also handing out the employees laptops. 
                     What irritates me the most; and its entirely personal, is that I bought a laptop just before W8 launch, and I have had a really hard time installing windows 8 on it, and also the fact that my laptop which is brand new is probably antiquated in the scheme of things. 
                    I have tried to upgrade W7 on my Lenovo, and then my mouse would not work, my webcam would not work, about every other application failed to launch, most of the hardware did not have compatible drivers, honestly it was a nightmare. The most naggy and interrupted experience I have had on an OS yet. I got sick of it, and tried to do a clean install on a logical partition, to allow for dual booting on my Lenovo, and received the following error that would not allow me to install: 

 "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks." 

                        By now, I was grinding my teeth in frustration, cos not even a dos prompt linux installation gave me so much headache. My only option after much research,(for which i clean installed a Ubuntu I had on hand, because I was not sure what else would go wrong after the above error, and did not want a completely bricked 1000$ brand new laptop on my hands. Then I tried to logically partition the drive from Ubuntu into a NTFS format, which I could not because Ubuntu was working off that huge 1TB as the root mount. So, finally after much research on Ubuntu too, I used a live cd of Ubuntu to partition the hard drive and then wipe one logical partition and installed W8) I was able to install W8. I agree, I did not do it the right way, nor the most optimal way, but I would not have had to do it if the upgrade was good in the first place. So after hours and hours of research, wipe, install, and re-install, I finally got Windows 8 clean installed on my pc. For this experience, even while reliving it, I had the choicest of words reserved in my vocabulary, but will settle for a PHEW!!! So I start using it, and then my touchpad is really slow, so I upgrade it with a Synaptic W8 driver. It was really fast after that, but if you were watching something full screen, and wanted to check what the time was or the battery left was or something and you end up sliding your finger on the touchpad the wrong way, the screen goes to W8 home screen. I could switch it back, but I should not have to. See what I mean? Really annoying. Maybe theres a place when I can turn the gestures off, but then I also like the gestures. I just wish it would not be such and easy gesture, you know?
                      Also now that my laptop seems to be the most latest no touch screen laptop, I do not know where I stand. I kinda feel like I bought an IPad at the same price of IPad 2 just before the Ipad2 launch(but more expensive). I have more complaints and predictions/speculations about this OS, but I will stop my cribbing and see if that can be doled/rambled/ bitched out in my next post about W8.

No comments: